A lot has happened in the past month. And one series of events has kept me from my blog. If you know me at all, you know that I am a fairly private person. So to somehow put into writing how I've felt over the past several weeks has seemed daunting, and not knowing what I want to say has kept me from saying anything at all.
The short story is, one month ago my mom was driving home when a vehicle driving in the opposite direction swerved into her lane of traffic and hit her head on. The jaws of life were used to cut her out of her vehicle. By the grace of God her life was spared, but she suffered massive injuries to her lower extremities and several more injures to her ribs, lung, kidney and spleen. After a full week in ICU and multiple surgeries (I think the count may be 7 at this point), she is on the long road to recovery.
When I got the call from my dad he was at the scene of the accident. My hands were shaking as I listened to him talk. I could tell he was scared and I knew it was bad. I cried myself to sleep for the next three nights. Zoey and I were able to fly to Corpus and stay for a few days, and I'm anxiously waiting to get to go again. During times like this I especially hate the fact that we are so far away.
To say that my mom is incredible is the understatement of the century. I could write on and on about her selfless love, her faith, and her example of a woman of God, a mother, a wife, and a friend. And through all of the obstacles over the past several weeks she has remained strong. Her sweet spirit will not be broken. So many prayers have been lifted up, and I know the Lord has heard them. Mom is continuing to get stronger and the doctors are amazed at her progress. I could not be more thankful for all the prayers from family and friends, they are truly life-changing.
In the past few weeks I've been reminded of something - - that while happiness and sadness are emotions, joy is a choice. Mom has been faced with many hurtles over the past month, but she has chosen joy. Walking into the ICU, I could see it in the smile on her face. I hope that on a daily basis I will choose joy as well. What will you choose?
~~~~~~~~~~~
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comments! I read each and every one.